Mission and Goals
Our mission is to enhance, accentuate, inspire and support the cultural and intellectual diversity at Suffolk County Community College. This is essential for a continual progression toward excellence.
We are committed to:
- exploring ideas from our colleagues, from national resources including other colleges and institutions of learning, and from our local communities;
- organizing this information and insight into useful initiatives, programs and community events;
- maintaining an open-access resource file;
- collaborating with academic departments/divisions to develop creative ways to further infuse diversity into the curriculum;
- modifying our grounds and buildings to reflect the rich multicultural composition of our college and community; and
- realizing our vision through our attitudes and practices.
We envision a college environment that recognizes and celebrates the vital richness and necessity of diversity; a curriculum that continues to progress toward broader cultural awareness and competence; and a community that demonstrates inherent sensitivity, appreciation and respect for individuals and groups of difference.
- To foster an understanding and appreciation of diversity within the college community, and to provide opportunities for the community to understand and celebrate diversity.
- To promote the cultural, personal, social, leadership, and intellectual development of all students.
- To ensure the inclusion of underrepresented and/or underserved populations in the entitlements, benefits, and opportunities provided to the general student population.