Skip to main content

Overview of Asylum, Refugee, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), and Withholding of Deportation or Removal holders.

Individuals admitted to the United States as Refugees, granted Asylum, granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS) by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, or granted a Withholding of Deportation or Removal by an Immigration Judge may be able to establish New York State domicile and may be eligible for resident tuition. Please refer to the following information for acceptable proof of your immigration status, which you must present along with your application. In order to be eligible for reduced resident tuition, you must have resided in New York State for at least one (1) year, and have resided in Suffolk County for at least six (6) months. Additional information on establishing Residency is available on the College’s Tuition and Fees webpage, under the “Read More” tab, which appears above the listing of Resident and Non-Resident tuition.

Applicants holding Refugee Status, Asylum Status, or those who were granted a Withholding of Deportation or Removal may present the following documentation as acceptable proof of such status:

  • A decision from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or the Immigration Judge granting Asylum, or Withholding of Deportation or Removal; or
  • Refugee Travel Document; or
  • *I-94 Arrival/Departure Record with Employment Authorization Stamp and the notation “Asylum granted” or “Refugee granted”; or

* As U.S. Customs and Board Protections (CBP) no longer issues a paper I-94 form, applicants can print a copy of their I-94 Record from the CBP website by selecting “Get Most Recent I-94”.

  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD or U.S. Work Permit) (I-766) with the following codes:
    • (A)(3) for Refugee,
    • (A)(5) for Asylee (Granted Asylum), or
    • (A)(10) for Withholding of Deportation or Removal.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS):

Foreign nationals who have been granted TPS by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security can also establish New York State domicile, as the individual’s underlying non-immigrant visa status is superseded by the TPS. TPS holders may present the following documentation as acceptable proof of their status:

  • A USCIS Receipt of Application for TPS (Form I-821); or
  • A USCIS letter granting TPS; or
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD or work permit) (I-766) with the codes
    • A(12), or
    • C(19)