Skip to main content

I am only registered for 4 credits in the summer. Can I still get a student loan?

No, the federal government requires students to be enrolled for at least 6 credits in their degree program in order to obtain a student loan.

Why do you recommend that some students not use TAP in the summer?

New York State limits TAP funds for undergraduate students. Students may only receive TAP for the equivalent of 8 full time semesters. If you use TAP for the summer at a low-cost school like Suffolk, that will reduce your eligibility when and if you transfer on to complete a four-year degree, where your need for financial aid is often greater.
At Suffolk you are entitled to 6 full time semesters of TAP aid.

I currently have a work study job this spring semester. Can I work at the same job in the summer?

The first thing to do is talk to your supervisor to see if they need help over the summer and would like you to return. If that is a yes, you can return to that position but first you must have completed the FAFSA. When the information is downloaded to our database, it will be reviewed to determine whether or not you are eligible to work in the summer. If you are eligible, you will receive a letter from us stating that you may begin working. If you haven't heard from us please feel free to come in or call us.

I get APTS and/or SEOG grants during the year. Are these grants available for the summer?

No, unfortunately. Both of those programs have limited funds so we only process awards for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Can I use financial aid to pay for my books in the summer?

No, financial aid can only be used to pay for books in the bookstore during the Fall and Spring semesters. You will be responsible for paying for your own books and supplies for summer session.

How might academic progress affect my summer aid eligibility?

Students who do not meet the federal and/or state academic progress standards will receive a "block" which means they have lost their financial aid eligibility. Often, this block is not posted until after you have been tentatively packaged. You can lose financial aid that was already awarded. In some cases, students may appeal and have the aid reinstated. For details, visit your campus financial aid office.