Skip to main content

How do I apply for financial aid at Suffolk County Community College?

  1. For fast results, file a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically at If this is your first time filing the FAFSA you will need to get a FSA ID to sign your FAFSA application. If you are dependent your parent will also need to get a FSA ID.
  2. A reminder notice will be mailed to continuing or transfer students who applied previously.
  3. Be sure to include Suffolk County Community College as your college choice on the FAFSA.

How do I apply for a student loan?

Your first step in applying for a student loan is filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When the college receives your data from the Department of Education, some may be automatically awarded a Direct Loan. If your award package does not include a loan you can request a loan by filling out the "Loan Request/Adjustment Form" and submitting it to the campus Financial Aid Office. The form can be found on our site Select Financial Aid, next select Printable Forms, and there you will see the "Loan Request/Adjustment Form."

It can be either a subsidized loan (interest is paid by Department of Education while you are in school) or an unsubsidized loan (interest is added to the loan once the loan is disbursed), or both. If you are awarded both and you want a student loan, you must accept the subsidized loan first as it is in your best interest. Once you receive your award letter you will need to log on to the college web site at and accept or decline the award offer. If you are a first-time borrower you will need to complete an Entrance Interview and sign an electronic Master Promissory Note (E-MPN) at Once you complete these tasks the college will be notified and your loan request will be sent to the Department of Education for approval.

How do I correct a Student Aid Report (SAR) if it does not have Suffolk County Community College listed?

You can make corrections to your Student Aid Report on line at Enter the correct Title IV code: 002878 for the Ammerman Campus, 013204 for the Grant Campus, and 014153 for the Eastern Campus.

How do I obtain a tax return transcript from the IRS?

You can now print your tax return transcript online. Just log on to and select Get Your Tax Record -and follow the directions. If you are unable to print your tax return transcript you can call 1-800-908-9946 to request a copy.

How do I Request IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter?

Please select to print out form 4506-T from the IRS website.
Complete Lines 1-4 following instructions.
Complete Line 7, select the checkbox on the right for Verification of non-filing.
Complete Line 9, year or period request field for example 12/31/2021 for tax year 2021.
Mail the 4506-T to the address: Internal Revenue Service, RAIVS Team, Stop 6705 P-6, Kansas City, MO 64999 or fax it to: 855-821-0094.

How do I confirm my attendance?

  1. From the College home page, log onto "MYSCCC" by entering your username and password.
  2. Select the "Students" tab.
  3. Select "Pay My Bill or Confirm My Attendance."
  4. Follow the directions until you see a page indicating “You have confirmed your attendance for this semester.”

When will I hear about my financial aid award?

After applying for financial aid with the FAFSA you will receive an email with a link to your Student Aid Report if you included a valid email address on your application. If you did not include an email address you will receive a paper Student Aid Report (SAR) with the results. If Suffolk County Community College was included on your application, we will receive those results electronically and you will receive an award or a request for additional information within 2 weeks.

What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

A new tool, the IRS Data Retrieval tool, allows many applicants to transfer their, or their parents, tax information from the IRS. This helps speed the process for many applicants.

What is the availability of scholarships at SCCC?

The Suffolk Community College Foundation awards hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarships each year to new and continuing students. A scholarship search is available at, Financial Aid, Sources of Aid, Suffolk Grants and Scholarships.

What assistance can the Financial Aid Office give me?

Assistance is always available in understanding the various financial aid programs and with the application itself. The campus Financial Aid Offices provide individual counseling, group workshops, and scholarship searches. The Financial Aid Computer Lab is also available to help you file your applications electronically.

What workshops are available?

There are workshops available at each campus, including General Financial Aid Information, Completing the FAFSA and Completing the FAFSA on the Web, Scholarship Search and Exit Interview Sessions. Contact our office for more details.

Will I pick up my loan or grant checks at the college?

No, your grants and or student loans will first be applied to your bill for tuition and fees and then the balance will be mailed to you directly by the Business Office. You should receive any loan proceeds in the first month of the semester and any remaining grant funds before mid-semester.

Will financial aid pay for my books and supplies?

Students who receive a Pell Grant in excess of tuition and fees may utilize a school credit in the campus book store. If a student does not utilize the school credit, a refund will be sent directly to the student. A student can opt out of this credit by notifying the campus Financial Aid Office in writing.

Why my loan does not appear as credit on my tuition bill?

In order for this to happen, the College must receive an electronic approval from the Department of Education. This happens 1-2 weeks after you complete the following steps:

  1. Accept your offered loan on the student portal (, MySCCC).
  2. First time borrowers at Suffolk must complete Loan Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note online at Instructions are available on our website.

In addition, you must be:

  1. in good academic standing and matriculated.
  2. enrolled for at least six credits required in your current degree program.

If you would like to check your status, you may speak to a Financial Aid representative.

Can I expect the same award each year?

Your awards may change each year due to availability of funds or changes in eligibility criteria, family income, etc.

Can I expect the same award each year?

Your awards may change each year due to availability of funds or changes in eligibility criteria, family income, etc.

Can my financial aid award be taken away or reduced?

Yes, your original awards are based upon your projected enrollment. Changes in actual enrollment, including non-attendance or course drops/withdrawals, may reduce or cancel this aid offer. Also, if you drop/withdraw all courses before the 60% point your aid will be pro-rated based on the Return of Title IV calculation. This means that aid that had already been awarded and disbursed to you may need to be returned.

I am only registered for 4 credits. Can I still get a student loan?

No, the federal government requires students to be enrolled for at least 6 credits in their degree program in order to obtain a student loan.

I am a disabled student. Can I receive part-time TAP?

Yes, you can receive part-time TAP as a disabled student as long as we have sufficient documentation that you are disabled as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please check with the Special Services Counselor at your home campus.

Once awarded financial aid, can I lose my eligibility?

Each semester, your grades will be reviewed to see if you have met the satisfactory progress standards (refer to Eligibility Requirements). If you lose your eligibility as a result of extenuating circumstances, you can appeal the decision through a waiver process. Also, if you totally withdraw during the semester, your aid will be proportionally reduced and funds may be returned to the Department of Education.

Do I need to apply for financial aid each academic year?

Yes, continuing students will receive a renewal reminder email application by the first week in December. Also, you will receive a reminder to file your FAFSA from Suffolk County Community College via email.

What tax year's data do I use to file my 2020-2021 FAFSA?

As of 2017-2018, the Department of Education requires students to use prior-prior year data. For example, for 2020-2021 you will be entering data from your 2018 tax year.

What is Verification?

Verification is the process whereby the Department of Education selects students randomly for colleges to check the validity of a student's FAFSA information. There are currently three verification tracking groups: V1, V4, and V5. If selected, you will be asked for additional documents such as a Verification Form and Tax Return Transcripts for you and/or your parent(s). If married, we will need a Tax Return Transcript for you and your spouse.