NSF-STEM Scholarship Program
The NSF STEM Scholarship Program at Suffolk County Community College provides a unique, educational enrichment environment for students pursuing careers in science (biology, chemistry, physics, earth and space, geology, information technology) technology, engineering and mathematics fields.
Those students accepted into the program will be provided with academic support services to enhance their college experience and increase their likelihood of success.
SCCC proposes to fund at least 30 NSF-STEM scholars annually at an average of $4,250 each.
NSF STEM scholarships serve those students in the targeted majors who:
- Are enrolled in a degree program in one of the following disciplines:
- Biological sciences (except medicine and other clinical fields)
- Physical sciences, including chemistry, physics, astronomy, geology, and material sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Computer and information sciences
- Technology areas associated with the preceding fields (for example, biotechnology, chemical technology, engineering technology, information technology, etc.)
- Are enrolled full-time for each semester of scholarship receipt
- Demonstrate academic talent and potential (GPA of 2.7 or above)
- Demonstrate financial need, defined by US Dept. of Education for need-based Federal financial aid (FAFSA)
- Are citizens of the United States, nationals, permanent residents, or refugees
- Tutoring and advising
- Field trips and seminars
- Job shadowing and internships
- Transition programs for graduates continuing their education at four-year institutions
- Monthly meetings
- Mentoring of STEM participants and
- Collaborations with Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University