Suffolk County Community College News

For Immediate Release Share This News Release
1/22/2016


Suffolk, Tobacco Control Champion

The Tobacco Action Coalition of Long Island andNorthwell Health’s Center for Tobacco Control presented Suffolk County Community College’s Dr. Christopher Adams with the Tobacco Control Champion Award for 2016 for spearheading Suffolk's college-wide tobacco-free policy that ensures the health and safety of students and employees of the college.

 noSMoke

"While the use of tobacco is a personal choice, the health hazards related to smoking and exposure to second- and third-hand smoke are well-documented and can affect not only the smoker, but also the nonsmoker who is exposed to the smoke," said Suffolk County Community College President Dr. Shaun L. McKay.

“I would like to commend the leadership of the Suffolk County Community College Board of Trustees, President Shaun L. McKay and the Tobacco Free Implementation Committee in making Suffolk County Community College a tobacco free environment,” said Dr. Christopher Adams, vice president for student affairs.

“The policy demonstrates that protecting the health of students and employees is an essential component of a successful workplace as well as a safe teaching and learning environment,” said P.J. Tedeshi from the Tobacco Action Coalition of Long Island.

Approximately 28,200 New Yorkers die prematurely each year because of tobacco. Nearly a 500,000 New Yorkers suffer from serious diseases directly attributable to smoking, including lung and oral cancers, heart disease, stroke and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Tobacco related diseases add up to $10.4 billion in medical costs annually in New York.

Secondhand smoke also causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke. In addition, secondhand smoke immediately affects the heart and blood circulation in a harmful way. Over time, it also causes heart disease and lung cancer. Indoor and outdoor tobacco-free policies are an important factor in eliminating secondhand smoke exposure.