Suffolk County Community College News
For Immediate Release
Share This News Release
Suffolk to Establish Veterans Resource Center with Help From Island Outreach Foundation Grant
The more than 500 student veterans at Suffolk County Community College will soon benefit from a more than $51,500 grant from the Island Outreach Foundation.
“This generous grant from Island Outreach Foundation will enable Suffolk County Community College to provide the support that veterans want: a single point of contact with trained staff to guide their transition as they pursue their educational goals,” said Thomas Tyson College Coordinator of Veterans Affairs.
The grant will enable the College to provide services for veterans during their academic careers, including post-graduation employment help. A Veterans’ Career Conference Empowering the Defenders of Our Freedom on Friday, April 10 at the College’s Michael J. Grant Campus in Brentwood is also being funded by the grant.
Suffolk County Community College is currently searching for a College-wide Director of Veterans Services and is establishing a Veterans Resource Center on Ammerman Campus. The Island Outreach Foundation Grant will help fund the establishment of the resource center.
The Veterans Resource Center will provide student veterans with a primary place and point of contact to access needed resources. The funding also supports student veteran services that promote academic success including:
- Academic support/availability of free tutoring across all disciplines
- Customization of admissions and orientation activities
- Counseling services for educational planning, academic advisement, career assistance and mental health
- College navigation with secure support for the various departments across all three campuses
- Computer access and study stations with assistive technology software
- A veteran mentoring program
- Veteran career services, including assistance with resume building and employment opportunities
- Specialized programs including career fairs (featuring a military personnel speaker), and career programs geared toward women student veterans
- College-wide training programs for all College Faculty and Staff to gain understanding on how to support student veterans inside and outside of the classroom
The Island Outreach Foundation Inc. is a private philanthropic organization dedicated to assisting other organizations accomplish their stated mission with a focus on education, healthcare, environmental, quality of life issues, and general community needs. The organization focuses the majority of its efforts in Suffolk County.