Suffolk County Community College News
For Immediate Release
Share This News Release
Suffolk Honors Veterans During More Than Week-Long Commemoration
Suffolk County Community College will honor veterans and student veterans during a more than week-long series of commemorations and ceremonies on each of the college's three campuses in Selden, Brentwood and Riverhead.
"Our college values our veterans, their selfless commitment to our country as well as the leadership skills and many other unique qualities they bring to our institution," said Suffolk County Community College President Dr. Shaun L. McKay.
President McKay said the events include the following:
- MONDAY, November 3rd: A guest speaker from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America will visit the Michael J. Grant Campus, Brentwood. Captree Commons Room 113, at 11:00 a.m.
- WEDNESDAY, November 5th: Representatives from the Northport VA Medical Center will be on hand to provide medical exams and benefit information to Veterans at the Ammerman Campus, Babylon Student Center, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- MONDAY, November 10th: Student Veterans are invited to discuss their experiences in the military on the Eastern Campus, Montaukett Learning Resource Center Room 107/108 – 11:00 a.m.
- TUESDAY, November 11th: Flag-Raising Ceremony by the Student Veterans Association at the Michael J. Grant Campus, Caumsett Hall, Brentwood at 8:00 a.m.
- WEDNESDAY, November 12th: The culminating Veterans Ceremony will take place on Veterans Plaza at the Ammerman Campus, Selden beginning at 11 a.m.
Student veterans from all of Suffolk County Community College’s campuses will be present.
The ceremony will feature:
- a military color guard
- vocal performances by student Veterans, including William Hyer, President of the Student Veteran Association at the Michael J. Grant Campus and Dan Hope, a student Veteran in the Music Program at the Ammerman Campus;
- welcoming remarks by Campus Executive Dean and US Army veteran George Tvelia;
- a speech by the first Ammerman Campus Student Veteran Association (SVA) president, Oscar Salgado, who attended Suffolk and then transferred to Stony Brook University and
- a challenge coin presentation to student veterans.
The full program will be held in the Eaton’s Neck Room of the Ammerman Campus' Babylon Student Center in Selden in case of bad weather.
Suffolk County Community College Campuses:
533 College Rd.
Selden, NY 11784
GPS: 40.846707, -73.052763
121 Speonk-Riverhead Road
Riverhead, NY 11901
GPS: 40.880010, -72.697040
Michael J. Grant Campus
1001 Crooked Hill Road
Brentwood, NY 11717
GPS: 40.795018, -73.276336